- A whale surprised a group of fishermen north of Sydney
- The whale appeared to be asking for help as it swam closely to their boats
- One of the men removed fishing lines and rubbish bags out of its mouth
- Another fisherman took selfies at the same time
- The whale apparently showed its appreciation by flapping its fin
See pictures at the link.
Animals are smart enough to do this sort of thing – ask humans for assistance. Even birds. A few years back, I noticed a red-wing blackbird appearing to be trying to get my attention by swooping near to me, back and forth; I then noticed, up a nearby tree, its nest, which was being harassed by a squirrel. I broke from my normal tendency not to interfere with nature, and yelled at the squirrel, which fled. The mother flew all around and chattered, apparently happy her young ones were safe, and apparently grateful for my help. Smart mother bird!